172 Sample Questions
- When must you signal before making a turn?
At least 100 feet before the intersection
- How close may you park to a stop sign?
- How close may you park to a corner?
- How close may you park to a fire hydrant?
- What is the stopping distance on a dry road at 50 m.p.h.?
- What is the proper distance you may park from the curb?
6 inches or less
- What are the penalties for driving without insurance?
Suspension of driver's license and registration and fines
- Serious accidents causing death, injury or $200 damage must be reported within 5 days to?
A Division of motor Vehicles office
- Points are only issued for?
- When will you be given a proposed License Suspension Notice?
After receiving 12 points
- What is the penalty for driving with a suspended license-first offense?
Fine of $500 and up to 6 months additional license suspension
- What is the penalty for not telling the truth when applying for a license?
No less than a $200 fine and up to 6 months imprisonment
- Up to 3 points may be subtracted from your record if you receive no moving violations for how long?
- What is the penalty for refusing the breath test?
6 months suspension (first offense)
- Who is responsible if a student commits a traffic offense?
Both the student and the accompanying instructor or licensed driver
- What should you do if approaching a steady yellow or amber signal?
Slow down, and stop before entering the intersection, if possible
- What is a good practice while driving?
Keep from looking at one thing for more than a few seconds
- What is the proper lane to turn into when making a left turn?
The lane nearest the center in the direction you are heading
- When driving at night you should be able to stop?
Within the distance you can see ahead
- Where should you position your car to make a left turn from a two way street?
The lane nearest the center of the road, and turn right before reaching the middle of the road
- What is a good practice when nearing an intersection?
Slow down and be prepared to stop
- What is the purpose of traffic laws?
To protect you and other drivers
- If there's a "No Turn On Red" sign, when can you make a turn on red?
- If you feel or hear unusual thumping noise while driving it may be?
- What is the best advice if your car is stranded in a heavy snowstorm?
Stay with your car
- What is a good practice when driving in the city?
Check intersections ahead for signals
- What must you do if you want to turn left at a traffic light?
Yield to oncoming traffic
- If the front of your car vibrates, the problem may be with your:
- What do two parallel white lines across the road mean?
Pedestrian cross walk
- Which lights should you be using when driving in fog?
Low beams, or fog lights
- What papers must you have when operating a motor vehicle?
License, registration, and insurance card
- When should you use your horn?
When coming out of a dark alley
- What should be done if two cars enter an uncontrolled intersection simultaneously?
The driver to the left must yield to the driver on the right
- Yellow center lines would usually be found where?
On a two-way road (no passing)
- Why should you use seat belts and shoulder belts?
They increase your chance of surviving an accident
- When may you pass on the right?
If the car in front is turning left and there is a lane for driving on the right
- What does a flashing red light mean?
Stop, proceed with caution
- What does a green light mean?
Proceed in a safe manner
- What does a single solid white line across an intersection mean?
You should stop behind the line for a traffic sign or signal
- What does a yellow diamond shaped sign mean?
Warning or caution
- When should you use your parking lights?
Only when parking
- Which way should you turn if you are going into a skid?
In the direction the back of your car is skidding
- How far should you stay behind the car that you are following?
At least two seconds
- What direction should you check first when approaching an intersection?
- If two cars reach a four way stop at the same time, what is proper procedure?
The driver on the left yields to the driver on the right
- What should you do if you go into a skid?
Take your foot off the gas
- What is the most common mistake a new driver makes with the brakes?
Pushing the brake too hard
- What is the best way to talk to other drivers?
Through the use of your horn and lights
- What does a red and white eight sided sign mean?
- What does a red and white triangular sign mean?
- If you drive through a deep puddle, what should you do?
Test your brakes
- When is the road surface most slippery?
During the first few minutes of rain
- When should you use your high beams?
Open country driving situations
- If the lights of oncoming cars are in your eyes, what should you do?
Look to the lower right side of your traffic lane
- A driver's left hand extended upward means what?
He's making a right turn
- A driver's left hand extended straight out means what?
He's making a left turn
- A driver's left hand extended downward means what?
He's making a stop or slowing down
- The safest way to exit an expressway is to?
Slow your car to the posted speed limit
- What should you do if your brakes fail?
Shift to a lower gear and pump your brakes
- What should you do if your electric signal fails to operate?
Use hand signal(s)
- What should you do if you have a blowout?
Slow down gradually
- One method of using the 2 second rule is by using a:
fixed object on the side of the road
- What should you do if you miss an exit on an expressway?
Go to the next exit. Don't back up
- When you are driving on a curve, your vehicle will tend to go in what direction?
- What is good practice at an intersection that has no signs or signal?
Be ready to stop if necessary (cover the brake)
- It is good practice to keep a space cushion in order to?
Give you time to react
- One of the best defenses against drunk drivers is:
Proper wearing of seat belt
- When a school bus has stopped at a school to pick up or let off children, you may pass in either direction at a speed of no more than:
10 miles per hour
- How should you turn your wheels when parking downhill next to a curb?
To the right towards the curb
- Special permits may be issued for a 16 year old when:
The 16 year old is enrolled in a Behind the Wheel Driver Education Course or enrolled in a Commercial Driving Education course (i.e. driving school) and when the permit is purchased by a state approved Driving Instructor
- In city driving, a good habit is to:
Look ahead 12 seconds
- When approaching a railroad crossing with flashing lights:
Stop no closer than 15 feet of the nearest rail
- You are required by new Jersey law to keep to the right except:
When on a one-way street, when passing, or if it is impractical to travel on that side of the roadway
- Studies show that the greatest number of people arrested for drunk driving had been drinking what kind of alcoholic beverage?
- The speed limit in a school zone is?
The speed limit in a business area is?
The speed limit on a highway is?
- You should always yield to:
Other vehicles already in the intersection, pedestrians and emergency vehicles
- If you want to return to the road from a dirt shoulder:
Slow down, then turn your wheels to climb the pavement edge
- An agricultural license allows the operation of a farm registered vehicle:
For agricultural use only
- To make a right turn you should:
Get in the right lane
- A 12 oz. Can of beer has as much alcohol in it as:
1 ½ oz. Of 86 proof whiskey or one 5 oz. Glass of wine
- Whether your blood alcohol content raises above legal limits depends on:
How fast you drank, your weight, how much you drank
- The best way to reduce your chances of having an alcohol related accident is:
Don't drink and drive
- If you are arrested for drunk driving in New Jersey, your chances of being convicted are:
- Drugs that may affect basic driving skills are:
Cold medicines, tranquilizers, and some prescription drugs
- Driving while under the influence of intoxicated beverages means:
The driver shows signs of being drunk, such as swerving, or going too fast or slow
- When blood/alcohol content reaches 0.15%, your chances of getting into a serious/fatal accident will increase:
- What is a "Habitual Offender"?
Any person whose license has been suspended 3 times within 3 years
- The first conviction penalty for anyone over 21 for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is:
$250-$400 fine and possible imprisonment for 30 days and loss of license for 6 months - 1 year
- In NJ, you must always keep to which side of the road (except when passing)?
- With a blood alcohol concentration of .05 - .10%:
You may or may not be under the influence
- With a blood alcohol concentration of .10% or more:
You are definitely under the influence (regardless of age)
- New Jersey licensed drivers may have an eyesight recheck every:
- What is a good rule of thumb in adjusting to traffic?
Try to adjust your speed to the flow of traffic
- What is a good rule of thumb for following distances on dry roads?
One car length for every 10 mph speed or 2-3 second space between cars
- What does the word " tailgating" mean?
Driving too close to the vehicle in front. This does not allow enough time to react if the vehicle ahead stops suddenly or slows
- What does hydroplaning mean?
Losing the tire grip on wet roads and riding on a film of water
- What is an uncontrolled intersection?
An intersection where there's no traffic signals or signs
- When should you dim your headlights?
In city driving and when following or meeting another vehicle within 500 feet
- What is an acceleration lane?
An extra lane provided at the entrance to an expressway to provide a vehicle distance in which to build up speed
- You must stop (in either direction) at least how many feet from a school bus with its red lights on?
- What is the name of the distance that the car travels while the brakes are being applied?
- Dates for studded tires on New Jersey roadways are?
November 15th to April 1st
- Information signs are what color?
Blue or green
- What should you do if a traffic light is not working?
Slow down, yield to traffic, and proceed when safe
- Depth perception means the same as:
- Persons under the age of 21 are considered under the influence (DUI) when their blood alcohol content is:
.01, .05 or .1%
- You can practice driving with a valid special learners permit (for a 16-20 year old):
Between 5:01 am and 11 P.M.
- You must be at least how many years old to register a motor vehicle?
- As you drive, you are required to stop your vehicle:
At an intersection with a stop sign, at a red light and when an officer orders you to do so
- NJ issues a ____ year basic license?
- It is important to slow down:
On narrow roads, at intersections or railroad crossings,and when the road is wet or slippery
- Vehicle stopping distances never depend on:
Time of day
- The best way to take a curve is to:
Slow down before entering the curve
- If a student fails the driving test (road test) for the fist time, how long must he/she wait before taking it again?
At least 14 days
- You may drive on public or private property to avoid a traffic sign or signal only if:
Directed to do so by a police officer
- When it is legal to make a right turn on red, you must:
Make a full stop and treat it like a stop sign
- What is a good form of primary I.D. to bring to the Permit test?
U.S. Passport or Original Birth Certificate (county issued, with the raised seal)
- You can get alcohol out of your blood by:
Time. The more you wait, the less the influence.
- The position of the hands on the steering wheel are:
At 9 and 3 o'clock
- The definition of a blind spot is:
Area which cannot be seen in the mirror(s)
- The inspection sticker on a new vehicle is good for:
- At what age can a high school student with a valid learner's permit take commercial driving lessons (Driving School)?
- What is the penalty for not having your insurance card with you?
Fine up to $100
- A single, solid white line across a road at an intersection means:
Stop within 5 feet of the line for a sign or traffic light
- If you have an out of state license, and move to NJ, you must apply for a NJ license within :
60 days, or before your current license expires, whichever comes first
- Some signs of alcohol impairment are usually:
Talkativeness, lessened judgment such as swerving, weaving, and going too fast or slow
- What is the penalty for driving a vehicle with an expired inspection sticker?
Fine,arrest and registration revocation
- On a three lane road, the center lane is usually used for:
- In selecting an area to do a three point turn (K- turn) you should check:
Volume of traffic, Width of the road, and if the car is at or near an intersection
- If you are involved in a personal injury accident that requires you to report it to the Division of Motor Vehicles you must:
Report the accident to your insurance company at once
- An articulated license allows you to operate what?
Vehicles of 18,000 lbs or more, joined by a coupling device
- How long do you have to report a change in address on a NJ license?
- What would indicate that a tire has been habitually over-inflated?
Wear on the center of the tire
- Headlights, not parking lights alone, must be used:
One-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise, in poor weather conditions, and when visibility is 500 feet or less
- A check point for parallel parking is:
Rear bumper opposite rear bumper of car parked in front of desired space
- If your car breaks down on an expressway, the first thing you should do is:
Try to pull off the road safely
- To drive a tractor trailer in NJ what type of license must you obtain?
Articulated Vehicle license, (CDL)
- If you run off the pavement, the first thing you should do is:
Slow down and turn back onto the pavement slowly
- The implied consent law means:
Driver agrees to take a breath test by simply inserting key in ignition
- Most fatal accidents are due to?
- If a person becomes drunk in your home and has a motor vehicle accident after leaving your home you could:
Be involved in a lawsuit
- The term one car length for each 10 mph is used to describe:
- If a driver receives a "proposed license suspension", he/she must......:
Attend a NJ driver improvement program, ask for a hearing with the division of Motor Vehicles or turn in his/her license for the suspension period
- When you buy a used car which has an expired inspection sticker, the car must be inspected within:
- What indicates under-inflated tires?
Excessive wear on the edges of the tires
- How long do you have to report a name change to the DMV?
- If a collision is impossible to avoid, you can lessen the impact by:
Steering away from objects that do not give way
- Hand signals:
Are the same for all states
- A restriction on a special learner's permit for a 16 year old is:
(S)he must have a behind the wheel driver education course
- Failure to give consent to be tested for alcohol consumption (the implied consent law) is punishable by:
6 months suspension of driving privileges
- A "learner's" or "student" permit refers to a permit for a:
16 year old
- In adverse weather conditions, the stopping distance of a truck is increased by:
- When purchasing a used vehicle, you should get the car inspected:
Either when the current inspection expires, or within 14 days if it already expired
- If a traffic light is horizontal, the red is on the:
- A provisional license is good for:
- The legal Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) level in NJ is:
- To avoid a penalty charge when purchasing a used car:
Transfer the title in 10 days or less from the date of purchase
- Under the Interstate compact laws, all moving violations commited in most other states will show up on your NJ record as:
- To avoid highway hypnosis:
Avoid looking at any one point or object for more than a few seconds at a time
- Anyone 21 or older must wait____ after passing their written exam and eye test before taking the road test?
- For any emergency vehicle with flashing lights engaged on your road, you must:
Pull over to the right
- One of the main concerns a driver must have when dealing with a truck is the truck driver's:
- A car seat should be placed in the _____ seat of a car?
- What does GDL stand for?
Graduated Driver License
- One of the restrictions of the GDL program is that the driver may not use any _____________ devices?
handheld game or wireless
- For someone 21 or older the GDL time restrictions are___?
- The standard accident prevention formula is:
Be alert, Be prepared, Act in time
- The standard monetary fine for a GDL infraction is:
- If a person with a BAC level of .05% doubles their chances of getting into an accident, then a person with a BAC level of .10%:
Has a 6 times greater chance of getting into an accident
- The best way to get alcohol out of one's system is not coffee or even eating, but rather:
Time. The longer one waits, the more their system gets rid of the alcohol.
- Is driving a privilege or a right?
Driving is a privilege.
- Considering that emotions play such an active role in driving, when you are angry, excited or upset, you should______?
Take some time to cool off before driving